Atlanta Pet Fair & Conference Is Win, Win, Win All Around
It’s hard to say who the biggest winners were at this weekend Atlanta Pet Fair & Conference. Was it Lindsey Dicken, who collected the most first prizes in the grooming contests, the show’s new owners—the World Pet Association, or the thousands of attendees moving between first class seminars and the trade show exhibits?
Lindsey Dicken of Fetching Canine Grooming & Boutique in Altomonte Springs, Fla., was a big winner in the grooming contests, taking first place in the Pure Breeds and Large Poodle categories as well as Best in Show and Best Pet Stylist in Show.
The World Pet Association (WPA), based in Monrovia, Calif., and president Doug Poindexter were big winners, too. The new owners of the Atlanta Pet Fair & Conference had made the decision to expand into the Georgia International Convention Center this year—a move that gave much more space for exhibitors and attendees. And Poindexter was happy with the increased attendance, even before the final numbers were tallied.
The attendees were winners, as well. The new format of the show received an enthusiastic thumbs up. Alongside the extra space of the new location, WPA introduced seminar preregistration—with a guaranteed seat. In past years, attendees said they had to wait in line as long as an hour for the most popular seminars to secure a seat, which cut into the time they had to enjoy the the show.
Other grooming contest winners included:
- Kristen Clyburn of MetroHound Mobile Pet Spa in Apex, N.C., who won the Terrier Open prizeAmanda Zeller of Upperville, Va., won the Sporting Group
- Mackensie Murphy of the Downtown Dog House in East Hanover, N.J., won the Mixed Salon Styling group
- Sheila Siencinski of Kristi’s Fancy K-9 in Lexington, S.C. took the prize in Runway Abstract Design
- Leslie Waldrep of LesMare Pet Spa and Resort in Tuscumbia, Ala., won the Creative Styling category
Ten groups competed in the Rescue Rodeo contest, which is one of the most popular events at Atlanta Pet Fair. The winners were:
- Milena Bermudez of Laurence Harbor, N.J., with Georgia Poodle Rescue
- Karen Tucker of Altamonte Springs, Fla., with Carolina Poodle Rescue
- Ashley Coomes of Louisville, Ky., with Carolina Poodle Rescue
- Macie Pisa of Kenmore, N.Y., with Jennifer’s Pet Rescue
- Jessica Unger of Pensacola, Fla., with Best Chance Animal Rescue
- Ashley Goings of Hammond, La., with Georgia Poodle Rescue
- Sarah Cordes of Chelsea, Ala., with Best Chance Animal Rescue
- Nicole Cecil of Huntersville, N.C., with Best Chance Animal Rescue
- Angelina Allen of Birmingham, Ala., with Jennifer’s Pet Rescue
- Ren Dodds of Pensacola, Fla., with Carolina Poodle Rescue