Bark Your Biz Unveils Winner of Competition at Pet Connections Expo
Anne Carlson of Jiminy’s presents to Bark Your Biz hosts Amanda Malone Bennie and Anthony Bennie, and panelists B.C. Henschen, Taz Latifi and Phil Chang.
Bark Your Biz, the three-minute elevator pitch entrepreneur competition for the pets products industry, presented a live program at the Pet Connections Expo on Oct. 3. The hour-long program featured four entrepreneurs pitching their brands and products for the hosts and a panel of industry experts.
Based on the criteria of presentation, product and market potential, the hosts and panelists scored the pitches. The Best Barker Award honors went to Anne Carlson, the founder and CEO of Jiminy’s, which makes a line of dog treats made with crickets as the core protein. Carlson presented the nutritional benefits of crickets for carnivores as well as the eco-friendly advantages of utilizing crickets instead of traditional protein such as beef, chicken and lamb. The victory gives Jiminy’s bragging rights as well as a $500 voucher towards a booth at next year’s Pet Connections Expo and three hours if consulting with the expert panelists.
Three other entrepreneurs, which received $100 booth discounts and one hour of follow-up consults with the expert panelists, presented to the competition’s panel of pet industry experts:
- 1-Toletta: The company makes a IoT (internet of things) high tech cat litter box that measures urine output to monitor feline health.
- TeloMore Pet: Telomere science is a new area of genetic health research, which suggests that the length of telomeres at the end of DNA strands determines life expectancy and genetic versus chronological age. TeloMore has created an enzyme supplement to help maintain the length of healthy telomeres.
- The Original Dog Hook: This device makes it easy to anchor dogs in any location simply by looping a leash over the hook, which must be installed in a wall.
Bark Your Biz! was created by Bennie & the Pets Podcast hosts Anthony and Amanda Bennie, the co-founders of Clear Conscience Pet. The show was directed, mixed and edited by Jeff Gordon, founder of Jeff Gordon Productions in Marlton, N.J.
The show was part of The Pet Connections Expo, which is produced by Bill Doherty, the founder and CEO of International Conference Development. The Pet Connections Expo, held in Oaks, Pa., is the only pet industry trade show held in the Northeast U.S.
The Bark Your Biz Industry expert panelists for the event were:
- Phil Chang, founder of Retail Phil, a consultancy that helps CPG brands and retailers to grow their businesses.
- Taz Latifi, founder of Petropolis NYC, a pet food and supply retail store in New York that specializes in individualized nutrition counseling services for pet owners.
- B.C. Henschen, founder of Platinum Paws in Carmel, Ind., a retailer that carries a full line of pet foods and supplies, emphasizing natural and holistic products.