Brussels Griffon Wins National Dog Show Presented By Purina
Newton, an 11-pound Brussels griffon, with handler Susan DePew after winning Best In Show at the National Dog Show Presented by Purina
A Brussels griffon named Newton captivated Best In Show Judge Peter Green and a capacity crowd in Philadelphia to win the Best In Show title for 2017 at "The National Dog Show Presented by Purina."
The 11-pound pup with 22 Best in Show Titles and top-five national rankings in both the breed and the toy group, Newton bested six group-winning canines advancing out of the 2,100-dog competition at the tradition-rich, all-breed show hosted by the Kennel Club of Philadelphia.
Roughly 20 million people tuned in to NBC on Thanksgiving Day following the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade to watch the competition of 2,100 dogs.
With the victory in Philadelphia, Newton, becomes one of the favorites to win the prestigious Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show title at Madison Square Garden in New York early next year.
Newton's registered name is CH Somerset Wynzall Hashtag and he is is owned by Mike and Janet Bazell of Rockbridge, Ohio (St. Johns Kennel); Ven Grasso of Samford, Australia; and breeders Keith Jacobson of Bellevue, Wash., and Jo Ann Noffsinger of Alberta, Canada. St. Johns Kennel is registered to Jeffery Bazell and Jeffrey Kestner of Bremen, Ohio.
The following are the other 2017 National Dog Show Group Winners:
- Herding group: an old English sheepdog named Sophia of Chatham, N.J.
- Terrier group: an American staffordshire terrier named Louie of New York
- Sporting: an English springer spaniel named Timmy of Sherman, Conn.
- Non-sporting: a French bull dog named Babe of Fredricksberg, Texas
- Working group: a Portuguese water dog named Noah of Island Lake, Ill.
- Hound group: a whippet named Anna of Modesto, Calif.