CatConLA Returns to LA June 25 and 26
CatConLA, a cat lover’s convention and symposium, is returning to The Reef in downtown Los Angeles on Saturday, June 25, and Sunday, June 26, with new talent, events and activities.
Part expo, part symposium, CatConLA showcases the world’s top catcentric merchandise for cats and people. In addition to an adoption village and a beauty bar, the event will have a series of seminars based on the relationship of cats with pop culture, with speakers from BuzzFeed Pets and Cats of Instagram, as well as meet and greets with top celebrity cat influencers Lil Bub, Pudge and Nala Cat. CatConLA is expected to bring in 15,000 attendees.
Talent and event highlights include:
- Furrocious Fashion Face Off Contest: CatConLA’s inaugural fashion event, presented by Zappos, will be hosted by Sonja Reid and judged by Angie Bailey (Texts from Mittens), Sonya Esman and P’Trique. Ten contestants will showcase their best cosplay catspirational attire, and one winner will receive a $1,000 gift certificate to Zappos.
- Actress Mariel Hemingway will join producer and author Lisa Erspamer for the seminar “How I Met My Cat.”
- Comedian Andy Milonakis will host the CatVideoFest on Saturday night at the theater at the Ace Hotel with special feline guest Lil Bub. Screenings will take place at 6:30 p.m. and 10:00 p.m.
- Cat Adoption at The Clowder Lounge—Hill’s Science Diet and Petco have built a 3,000-square-foot adoption village exclusively for CatConLA. This space will house more than 100 cats and kittens for adoption, all through local shelter organization spcaLA.
- Julie Newmar, the original Catwoman, will host a meet and greet in the CatCon Muse Lounge, signing books and photos.
- Lil Bub and her owner, Mike Bridavsky, will again be CatConLA’s finale event, and Lil Bub will have a surprise guest.
- In the Rachael Ray Nutrish Food for Cats booth (in partnership with BuzzFeed), attendees will have a chance to get their very own Caticature mashup (that’s a caricature of themselves melded with one of their cat). Attendees also will be able to create a playful animation of their own photos snapped in the GIF booth.
- The Purina One Whole Body Health Hotel will immerse guests in a hotel environment (offsite at the Ace Hotel) with cat-themed amenities and cat health experts to underscore the importance of lifelong whole body health for cats and launch the Purina One Tender Selects Blend cat food.
- Animal Planet will return to CatConLA with an interactive Escape Room experience, modeled from a cat’s perspective. Participants must piece together enormous cat toys that unlock clues to help them escape a giant cardboard box.
Hill’s Science Diet and Petco are the presenting sponsors for CatConLA 2016.
The event will take place from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday.