E-comm Analytics Say Champion Best Positioned in Online Pet Food Market
Champion Petfoods outperformed competitors in five key metrics measured, including product availability, image presence, content, keyword search, and ratings and reviews.
Champion Pet Foods, maker of Orijen cat and dog food and Acana dog food, benefited from top five rankings of those products in Clavis Insight’s analysis. The study measured the online store representation of pet foods on key performance indicators, as listed above, critical to online sales performance.
Below are additional findings from the Clavis report:
- Stella & Chewy’s was the highest-performing cat food brand, with Cats in the Kitchen ranking second. Stella & Chewy’s also had the highest search score in the entire pet food industry.
- Pet owners are sensitive to what they feed their pets, so strong online content and numerous online reviews are important.
- Orijen was the only cat food brand with a perfect review rating. Overall, 47 percent of cat food brands achieved a passing score for the category.
- A total of 52 percent of dog food brands achieved a passing score in the review category, with each of the top brands, including Fromm, Orijen and Zignature, receiving a perfect score.
- Fromm Family Foods dog foods averaged a 4.8 rating from more than 5,000 reviews, a strong indicator of customer satisfaction.
- Dog food brands had an average online availability of 88 percent, while cat food brands had an average of 87 percent.
- Nature’s Variety had the highest search score, with 34 percent of its items appearing on the first search page.