Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit ModuleShow Tags

How Dogs and Cats Factor into Moving Decisions and Plans


Published:

Pet priorities are often equal to or more important than human-focused amenities when U.S. dog and cat owners decide on new homes and communities, according to a new survey from Mayflower, a moving company. 

Pet owners said one-third of their overall decision to move was related to their pet, and survey respondents cited willingness to pay significantly more and even forgo perks like shorter commutes and updated kitchens in favor of pet-friendly features.

The 2019 Mayflower Mover Insights Survey explored the process of moving or preparing to move with a pet, including just how much pets factor into choices about home and community features. According to the survey, cat and dog owners who have moved recently said their pet influenced which new home they chose by 39 percent and which new community they chose by 26 percent. 

The survey also found:

  • Pet owners who plan to move said their pet will influence their choice of home by 48 percent and their choice of community by 33 percent.
  • Pet owners who are likely to move in the next five years are willing to pay an average of 32 percent more each month to get the pet-friendly features they want, such as a fenced-in yard and plenty of indoor space, as compared to their current monthly housing costs.
  • Half of future movers (50 percent) want an updated kitchen, and the other half (50 percent) prioritize a pet-friendly feature.
  • While nearly half (49 percent) of future movers want to live close to work, the other half (51 percent) prioritizes pet-friendly features in their new home.

Mayflower's survey also found more than three-fourths of past movers and future movers with pets didn't stay close or don't plan to stay close to their current neighborhood or part of town when choosing their next home. Yet, more than two-thirds of past movers tried to stay close to their pet's favorite human and furry friends, their favorite park and their vet. The pet-related decisions meant more than staying near their old neighborhood.

Pets may get the priority for perks when their humans relocate, but moving is still a stressful activity for dogs and cats. Mayflower's survey also shed light on pets' experiences during moves.

  • Half of pet owners (50 percent) reported their pets struggled to adjust to their new home–especially the feline friends. Nearly two-thirds of all cat owners say their cat had difficulty adjusting.
  • Prior to a move, almost half of pet owners (47 percent) sought information about moving with a pet, including researching online, talking with others who have moved with a pet or speaking with a vet.
  • To smooth the transition, eight in 10 pet owners gave their pet extra attention and showed them where things were in the new home.
  • Nearly half of all future owners (48 percent) will introduce their pet to the new home prior to moving in to minimize their dog and/or cat's stress.
  • More than half of all survey respondents (53 percent) said their spouse/partner added or will add more stress to the move than their pet did.

More than nine in 10 owners said their pets adjusted to their new setting in less than a month. And, more than 90 percent of pet owners agree that wherever they and their pets are together is instantly home.

True Global Intelligence, the in-house research practice of FleishmanHillard, fielded the online survey of 2,904 American cat and/or dog owners who have moved with their pet(s) within the past five years or are likely to move with their pet(s) within the next five years. The survey was fielded between Jan. 11-20. 

Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit ModuleShow Tags