Petco’s ‘National Pets @ Work Day’ to Raise Awareness of Benefits of Pets at Work
Petco announced the establishment of “National Pets @ Work Day”—a day-long celebration to raise awareness of the mutual benefits of having pets at work.
“Healthier pets make happier people, which makes the world a better place,” said Charlie Piscitello, senior vice president and chief people officer at Petco. “That translates to the workplace, too. On National Pets @ Work Day, we celebrate the success stories of existing pet-friendly offices and hope to engage additional employers in a dialogue to highlight the growing body of scientific research that shows the positive effects of the human-animal bond, when and wherever you experience it.”
According to studies, pets in the office can help:
- Improve employee health: The presence of animals—even simply viewing fish tanks—can reduce heart rate and blood pressure. The act of petting an animal lowers blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Reduce stress: Interaction with a pet, specifically a dog, positively affects endocrine responses, including changes in cortisol, epinephrine, norepinephrine and serotonin levels.
- Energize morale: Dogs remind us to get up and take breaks throughout the workday, which have been shown to improve employee morale, productivity and focus.
- Enhance office socialization: Pets can spur human social interactions. Workplace experiments showed employees were more likely to trust each other and collaborate more effectively when dogs were present.
- Improve productivity: Not worrying about pets at home allows employees to focus on and complete work responsibilities without having to rush home. They also might be able to stay and enjoy office lunches, happy hours or other activities they might otherwise miss.
Petco employees experience the benefits of having pets at work every day. The company’s corporate offices, both in San Diego and San Antonio, always have been pet friendly; retail store employees interact with countless pets each day, the company states.
“Petco is practicing what it preaches with its amazing new pet-friendly headquarters and by providing significant support for research on the health benefits of the human-animal bond,” said Steven Feldman, executive director of the Human Animal Bond Research Initiative. “There is solid scientific research to show that pets in the workplace benefit our health and well-being, and with National Pets @ Work day, Petco is helping to celebrate, raise awareness for, and hopefully, bring those benefits to many more people and pets.”