Six Companies Join Mars Petcare's Accelerator Program
Mars Petcare, Michelson Found Animals Foundation and R/GA Ventures have unveiled the six companies that will participate in the first cohort of the Leap Venture Studio (Leap)—the first startup-centric accelerator program built to springboard innovation in the growing pet technology ecosystem.
The companies include a diverse mix of next generation entrepreneurs and startups looking to shape the future of pet care across nutrition, veterinary diagnostics, on-demand services, and medicines and supplements.
The participating companies are:
- AnimalBiome, which assesses pet microbiomes and makes an oral supplement from material sourced directly from healthy cats and dogs to restore balance.
- CuidaMiMascota, which connects pet owners with trusted pet sitters that offer cage-free, safe and cost-effective care, in Latin America.
- Lacuna Diagnostics, Inc., a cloud-based platform that connects veterinary hospitals to board-certified clinical pathologists for rapid diagnostic results.
- Mixlab, a modern veterinary compounding pharmacy that creates personalized meds and wellness products for pets.
- PetPlate, a subscription service that delivers fresh-cooked, vet-designed, human-grade dog food in pre-portioned, microwavable containers.
- Wild Earth, which is challenging the status quo of pet food with cultured protein that is good for pets and the environment.
In recent years, advancements in scientific research and the development of emerging technologies have made it possible for people to advocate for their pets in new ways and help these pets live healthier, happier lives. Yet, there are very few business innovation platforms that support innovators behind these solutions in developing new market opportunities.
Mars Petcare and Michelson Found Animals are uniquely positioned to foster innovation in this space by supporting early-stage and growth-stage companies whose products and services can have a lasting impact on pets and pet owners, according to company officials.
The Leap program provides the opportunity for selected companies to access strategic, financial and creative resources to accelerate product development, develop industry partnerships and refine their business plans. Customized teams of R/GA strategists, technologists, designers and consultants will collaborate with the startups to enhance their business plans and prepare them for future milestones including fundraising, pitching and business development. Additionally, the startups will receive mentorships from executives at Franklin, Tenn.-based Mars Petcare, Found Animals and their extended networks of advisors.
The Leap program will be hosted at the R/GA office in Portland, Ore., a city well known for its pet-friendly culture. The program will conclude in October with a demo event at which each startup will present to industry leaders, partners, investors, and customers from the technology and innovation community.
The Leap Venture Studio is currently accepting applications for the second cohort and selection will take place in the Fall 2018. The program encourages companies innovating in pet nutrition and wellness; pet health and diagnostics; solutions/platforms/services for pet owners and pet professionals; AI and machine learning, advanced analytics; connected products and spaces; and genetics to apply throughout the year. Qualified candidates must have developed a minimum viable product. Leap is open to companies at a variety of stages, from pre-seed to seed to Series A, and business models including business-to-business and business-to-consumer.