West Paw Design Celebrates Earth Day
For the past 20 years, West Paw Design of Bozeman, Mont., has been working to reduce its impact on the planet by creating eco-friendly pet products in a sustainable manner. To celebrate Earth Day on April 22, the company has tallied up the ways these efforts have affected (or not affected) the planet.
“West Paw Design is a great example of a U.S. manufacturer that has employed green and sustainable practices for 20 years while continuing to grow and remain profitable,” said Spencer Williams, owner and president of West Paw Design.
Reduction in Waste:
• A total of 12.7 million bottles have been saved from landfills and recycled into IntelliLoft fiber and fill to make West Paw Design pet beds and toys.
• Over the past two years, 3,093 pounds (1.5 tons) of Zogoflex material has been saved from landfills and recycled into new Zogoflex dog toys thanks to the company’s Join the Loop program.
• By smartly cutting every square inch of fabric to make its beds, West Paw Design is able to keep more than 1,366 yards of fabric out of the landfill by using the leftover fabric in its toys (that’s the length of more than 11 football fields).
• West Paw Design reused the 20-foot walls from its old factory in its new state-of-the-art manufacturing facility—reclaiming 175 tons of concrete.
• Each XXL Bumper Bed is made from 151 plastic bottles that have been recycled into IntelliLoft stuffing.
• Zero: The number of pesticides, toxins, pesticides and synthetic fertilizers that are not used to make the organic cotton fabric for the Bumper Bed.
Sustainability and Safety:
• Three collections of West Paw Design planet-friendly pet products are made with textiles that have been certified safe from harmful substances by third party Oeko-Tex.
• Ten pet products are nontoxic, BPA, phthalate and latex free, and FDA compliant.
• West Paw Design works toward always reducing its carbon footprint, and 100 percent of its products are made in Montana, while 90 percent of its product materials are sourced in the U.S.
West Paw Design is a founding member of the Pet Industry Sustainability Coalition, a certified B Corp and a Montana Benefit Corporation.