Posted: Oct. 11, 2012, 5:30 p.m. EDT
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals announced on Oct. 11 that in August and September that the 2012 ASPCA Rachel Ray $100K Challenge was responsible for 33,185 pets either being adopted or reunited with their owners. This is a substantial increase over the same period last year, reports the ASPCA.
"Seeing the adoption numbers continue to pour in – 33,185 animals saved by contestants in just 60 days and an increase of 8,390 lives saved over August and September of last year – is truly moving," said Bert Troughton, vice president of community outreach for the ASPCA.
Fifty U.S. animal shelters, divided up into five geographic divisions, are working to increase adoptions in order to win some of the more than $500,000 in ASPCA prize grants, including a grand prize of $100,000.
The ASPCA and Rachael Ray will award a $100,000 grand prize to the shelter that achieves the greatest increase in lives saved during the Challenge’s August through October run.
A second place prize of $25,000 will be awarded to the shelter with the second greatest increase in lives saved, and the shelter that does the best job of engaging its community members in helping to save more animals will win $25,000. Those organizations that do the best in their divisions will be eligible for between $5,000 and $40,000 in additional grants.
"The last 30 days of the contest are always an exhilarating and exhausting time for the contestants, but we know they are fueled by seeing the happy faces of the adopters leaving the shelter with their new best friends," Troughton added.
Rachael Ray donates 100 percent of the proceeds from the sale of her Nutrish pet foods to organizations like the ASPCA so they can implement programs like the $100K Challenge and support shelters and animal organizations around the country.
The 50 shelters competing in the 2012 ASPCA Rachael Ray $100K Challenge are:
In the West Division:
* Kern County Animal Control in Bakersfield, Calif.
* Animal Outreach of the Mother Lode in Diamond Springs, Calif.
* Escondido Humane Society in Escondido, Calif.
* Marin Humane Society in Novato, Calif.
* Animal Friends Rescue Project in Pacific Grove, Calif.
* San Bernardino County Animal Care & Control in San Bernardino, Calif.
* Animal Friends of the Valleys in Wildomar, Calif.
* Canyon County Animal Shelter in Caldwell, Idaho
* Nevada Humane Society, Reno, Nev.
* Greenhill Humane Society in Eugene, Ore.
* Humane Society of Central Washington in Yakima, Wash.
In the Northeast Division:
* Bangor Humane Society in Bangor, Maine
* Baltimore Animal Rescue and Care Shelter (BARCS) in Baltimore, Md.
* Talbot Humane in Easton, Md.
* Montgomery County Humane Society in Rockville, Md.
* Eleventh Hour Rescue in Randolph, N.J.
* Humane League of Lancaster County in Lancaster, Pa.
* The Pennsylvania SPCA in Philadelphia, Pa.
* Animal Friends, Inc. in Pittsburgh, Pa.
* Animal Rescue League Shelter and Wildlife Center in Pittsburgh, Pa.
* Last Chance Ranch, Inc. in Quakertown, Pa.
In the Southeast Division:
* Central Brevard Humane Society in Cocoa, Fla.
* Broward County Animal Care and Adoption Center in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
* Flagler Humane Society in Palm Coast, Fla.
* Seminole County Animal Services in Sanford, Fla.
* Big Dog Ranch Rescue in Wellington, Fla.
* The Humane Society of Charlotte in Charlotte, N.C.
* Oconee County Humane Society, Inc. in Seneca, S.C.
* Young-Williams Animal Center in Knoxville, Tenn.
* Portsmouth Humane Society in Portsmouth, Va.
In the South Central Division:
* Arizona Animal Welfare League & SPCA in Phoenix, Ariz.
* HALO Animal Rescue in Phoenix, Ariz.
* Humane Society of Southern Arizona in Tucson, Ariz.
* Santa Fe Animal Shelter & Humane Society in Santa Fe, N.M.
* Tulsa Animal Welfare in Tulsa, Okla.
* Beaumont Animal Services in Beaumont, Texas
* Denton Animal Shelter Foundation in Denton, Texas
* BARC Animal Shelter & Adoptions in Houston, Texas
* City of San Antonio Animal Care Services in San Antonio, Texas
In the North Central Division:
* Winnebago County Animal Services in Rockford, Ill.
* City of Bloomington Animal Care and Control in Bloomington, Ind.
* Heartland SPCA in Merriam, Kan.
* Friends for the Dearborn Animal Shelter in Dearborn, Mich.
* Kent County Animal Shelter in Grand Rapids, Mich.
* Ashtabula County Animal Protective League in Ashtabula, Ohio
* Humane Society of Greater Dayton in Dayton, Ohio
* SICSA in Kettering, Ohio
* Toledo Area Humane Society in Maumee, Ohio
* Medina County SPCA in Medina, Ohio
* Bay Area Humane Society in Green Bay, Wis.
Industry Professional Site: Comments from non-industry professionals will be removed.