Posted: Jan. 4, 2013, 6:00 pm. EST
Here are the 25 stories PetProductNews.com visitors found to be the most interesting in 2012.
25. Market for Natural Pet Products Expected to Skyrocket
U.S. sales of natural pet products are forecast to jump by 32 percent in 2013...Read more >>
24. Petsmart Adds Sunbeam Brand Pet Products
Jarden Consumer Solutions launched a line of pet products exclusively for Petsmart stores under the brand Sunbeam Pets...
Read more >>
23. Human Salmonella Outbreak Tied to Diamond Dog Foods
Public health officials launched an investigation into a link between a recent outbreak of human salmonella infections and the recently recalled dog food brands produced by Diamond Pet Foods...Read more >>
22. Dog Food Recalled on Salmonella Concern
Diamond Pet Foods of Meta, Mo., voluntarily recalled certain bags of its Diamond Naturals Lamb Meal & Rice dog food on suspicion of salmonella. Read more >>
21. Pet Stores Reeling Under Hurricane Sandy’s Destruction
Only a few days removed from Hurricane Sandy, owners of pet businesses in areas waylaid by the storm are telling stories of heartbreak and loss...
Read more >>
20. Walmart Launches Store-Brand Premium Dog Food
Walmart, the Bentonville, Ark.-based discount giant, jumped into the premium pet food market today with its own brand, Pure Balance...Read more >>
19. Nature’s Variety Recalls Dog Food Due to Odor
Nature’s Variety recalled several bags of Prairie Beef Meal & Barley Medley Kibble for Dogs due to an off-odor smell that may develop over time...Read more >>
18. Mold Prompts Limited Bil-Jac Dog Food Recall
Premium dog food manufacturer Bil-Jac Foods of Medina, Ohio, announced a limited product withdrawal of its 6-pound Adult Select Formula Dog Food from retailers’ stores and warehouses due to a few reports of mold in one batch...Read more >>
17. More Boots & Barkley Treats Recalled Due to Salmonella Threat
Kasel Associated Industries of Denver today expanded its recall of dog treats that may be contaminated by salmonella...
Read more >>
16. Pet Industry Spending Surpasses $50 Billion on Services Growth
The pet services category led an overall growth trend in the pet industry in 2011, as total spending surpassed $50 billion, but 2012 growth is expected to flatten...Read more >>
15. Land O’Lakes Issues Sweeping Feed Recall
Three Land O’Lakes subsidiaries recalled feed products, including an expansion of the recent PMI Nutrition International recall, due to the potential for elevated vitamin D levels...Read more >>
14. FDA Closes Peanut Plant Tied to Massive Recall
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration on Monday shuttered a New Mexico peanut processor linked to a salmonella outbreak and the subsequent recall of hundreds of food products, including four voluntarily pulled from shelves in the pet trade...Read more >>
13. Animal Behaviorist, Inventor Robert Anderson Dies at 90
Robert “R.K.” Anderson, a revolutionary animal behaviorist, founder of the Animal Behavior Resources Institute and co-inventor of the Gentle Leader head collar and Easy Walk harness, died...Read more >>
12. H.H. Backer Spring Show Springs Forward to 2014
H.H. Backer Associates Inc. of Chicago announced today the postponement of its Pet Industry Spring Trade Show, which was scheduled for April 10 to 12, 2013, in Atlantic City, N.J. The rescheduled show will be moved to a biennial format...Read more >>
11. Kaytee Recalls Batch of Mouse, Rat and Hamster Food Due to Salmonella
Kaytee Pet Products of Chilton, Wis., is recalling a single manufacturing batch of Kaytee Forti-Diet Pro Health Mouse, Rat and Hamster food due to possible salmonella contamination...Read more >>
10. SuperZoo Pet Product Exhibitor Wins Petsmart Contract
A better pooper scooper was what caught the eyes of Petsmart buyers who roamed the aisles at SuperZoo on Sept. 12, 2012, in Las Vegas...Read more >>
9. New York Charges Canadian Fish Dealer With Smuggling Snakeheads, Arowanas
New York has filed two felony charges and one misdemeanor against a Canadian aquarium store owner for allegedly illegally exporting invasive and endangered species into the United States...Read more >>
8. Foreign Objects Cause Pedigree Dog Food Recall
Mars Petcare US recalled three varieties of Pedigree weight management canned dog food products due to a potential choking risk...
Read more >>
7. Veterinary Association Frowns on Raw Food Diets
The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) approved a resolution that discourages feeding raw or undercooked animal-source proteins to cats or dogs when pathogens have not been eliminatedt...Read more >>
6. Diamond Adds Puppy Food to Recall
Diamond Pet Foods issued its third dog food recall in the past month due to salmonella contamination in a product manufactured at the company’s Gaston, S.C., facility, which recently ceased production...Read more >>
5. Yoghund Frozen Yogurt Dog Treats Recalled
TBD Brands LLC of Exeter, N.H., is voluntarily recalling Yoghund Organic Banana & Peanut Butter frozen yogurt dog treats because of possible salmonella contamination linked to the nationwide recall of other nut-related products...Read more >>
4. Canine Peanut Butter Treat Recalled
A nationwide limited recall of peanut butter made by Sunland Inc. has snared a pet company, Dog for Dog, which issued a voluntary recall of all its jarred Dogsbutter... Read more >>
3. Diamond Expands Recall Again
Diamond Pet Foods of Meta, Mo., added another brand to its expansive salmonella-related pet food recall, and a pair of cats in a Canadian shelter reportedly died...Read more >>
2. Diamond Halts Pet Food Production at S.C. Plant
Diamond Pet Foods of Meta, Mo., suspended all production at its Gaston, S.C., plant, following a dog food recall last week due to salmonella concerns. Read more >>
1. More Dog Foods Pulled in Salmonella-related Recall
In an expansion of a dry dog food recall, three national dog food companies (WellPet, Natural Balance and Canidae) and one regional (Apex Pet Foods) issued recalls...Read more >>
To read the most-read pet industry stories of 2011, click here.
Industry Professional Site: Comments from non-industry professionals will be removed.