“This is a major milestone for the pet industry,” said David Yaskulka, CEO of Nature’s Logic, which is based in Lincoln, Neb. “We still have far to go to accomplish our mission, to apply the logic of nature to everything we touch, but I’m proud to realize this significant goal with our partners at eShipping.”
Chad Earwood, founder and CEO of eShipping, added, “We’re thrilled to help Nature’s Logic achieve carbon neutrality. Nature’s Logic is our first carbon neutral client, but we’re confident this will create a path for many more to come. As a business in the transportation and logistics space, this partnership also serves as a catalyst for our team to continue looking for ways to minimize our own environmental impact in our office and warehouse locations nationwide.”
Toward that goal, eShipping also joined the Pet Sustainability Coalition (PSC) as a Sustainability Champion level member, officials noted. The Kansas City, Mo.-based company is known for its longstanding commitment to its people and communities, and to driving “our hearts towards a bigger purpose beyond ourselves and our business.”
The carbon footprint of Nature’s Logic’s distribution at eShipping is calculated by measuring warehouse space, warehouse power sources (some of which were already using renewable electricity) and every aspect of its shipping, including types of transportation (such as full truck load, less-than truck load, rail and ship), weight of cargo and distance, according to officials.
“Setting and reaching a carbon neutrality goal is no easy task,” said Caitlyn Dudas, executive director of PSC. “Nature’s Logic is setting an exciting pace within the industry that will be hard to follow by many but sets the stage for others to take similar action toward a better future for pets, people and planet.”
The program’s carbon offsets are provided in partnership with Natural Capital Partners, recently named the best Voluntary Carbon Market offset provider by Environmental Finance for the 10th consecutive year, officials said.
“The social impact of the program is significant,” officials added.
Investments, according to officials, have included:
- Two wind farms in Tamil Nadu, India, with a total capacity of 74.25 MW, delivering about 100,000 MWh of clean renewable electricity (complementing Nature’s Logic’s domestic-focused Clean Food, Clean Energy investments)
- Forest protection and the distribution of clean cookstoves in Africa, targeting the conservation of about 170,000 hectares of forest and promoting biodiversity
- Reducing the environmental impact of a landfill site through methane capture, electricity generation and wetland enhancement in North America
Nature’s Logic also works with Nori for additional offsets supporting regenerative agriculture, and EcoCycle, planting 2,000 mangrove trees, according to officials.
“Sustainability is not only a tenet of Nature’s Logic mission, but a key factor in the company’s growth,” officials said.
For more of PPN's coverage on sustainability, read:
- 3 Pet Distributors Join Forces as PSC Icon Members to Accelerate Sustainability
- Project Blu Launches #EarthsBestFriend Cleanup Challenge
- How Pet Food Manufacturing Is Radically Evolving to Meet Demand for Sustainable Products
- Open Farm Aims to Dramatically Reduce Carbon Footprint by 2030
- A Snapshot of Sustainability in the Pet Industry